Refinishing the old doors

Saturday, May 28, 2011


  As you may have seen in some of the pictures we've been posting (see here for original door picture), the doors are all pretty awful looking.  They're sturdy though, heavy solid wood doors.  Worth keeping.

  My Dad set to work removing them and sanding them down, according to him, the old gluey stain became so gummy, it was actually clogging his sander.

  He did however manage to sand them all down, and refinish them.  Though I haven't seen them for myself, I can tell from the photos it's a huge improvement.

 He also purchased some vintage hardware (from link provided to the right of our blog) to keep with the old Victorian feel.  Can't wait to see the finished product hanging!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you for posting such a useful, impressive and a wicked article./Wow.. looking good!
Doors refinishing

Unknown said...

I'm not sure if you will get this but wanted to let you know that I am DS Hopkins' great, great granddaughter. I would love for you to contact me. email zebby1977@gmail or on facebook I have a page for him: D.S. Hopkins architect from 1867-1905

Bethany port